From resume-building workshops to business planning guides, the library serves as a valuable hub for professional development and entrepreneurial support in the Virginia Beach community.
Jobs & Careers
Whether you are looking to change career fields or start fresh in a new job, VBPL has a number of resources to help.
The Meyera E. Oberndorf Central Library offers Job Coach volunteers who can assist with resume help, online job applications or other aspects of your job search. Call the library at (757) 385-0150 to make an appointment.
Online Career Assistance
- JobNow - This resource from Brainfuse provides helpful career coaching tips, resume building and other job resources.
- VetNow - VetNow from Brainfuse is a resource designed to help our veterans find benefits, build resumes and even find job coaching assistance.
Workforce Development Resources
Adult Learning Center
Part of the Virginia Beach City Public Schools, the Adult Learning Center, offers fee-based computer classes ranging from keyboarding basics to web page design.
Hampton Roads Workforce Council
The Hampton Roads Workforce Council is a one-stop workforce center where a wide range of free employment, training, and career education program services are available to employers, workers, job seekers, and youth.
The City of Virginia Beach has launched a new program, Thrive@The HIVE, designed specifically to support local entrepreneurs and to foster the City’s entrepreneurial ecosystem. Thrive@The HIVE offers workspace and various business resources at no cost to eligible Virginia Beach entrepreneurs to help them succeed and grow.
This partnership supports individuals and families in these critical areas: mentoring, employment and education, financial management, well-being and incentives.
Tidewater Community College Workforce Development
Tidewater Community College is offering fee-based programs on a range of career tracks including information technology topics.
Business & Investments
There are a number of tools at your disposal - from online resources to small business seminars - if you are a small business owner or interested in becoming one. Visit our online calendar to find the next event.
Business & Investments Research Sources
Access business & investment research with your library account from home with online resources provided by VBPL. Such as the following resources:
- DemographicsNow - Conduct market research with U.S. demographic data.
- Data Axle Reference Solutions - Search for companies and people in the United States.
- Financial Ratings Series - Accurate, independent information and ratings for banks, insurance companies and credit unions, with additional investment ratings for stocks and mutual funds. When asked for your account number, type VBPL then your account number. NOTE: VBCPS students, type VBPLS0 then your VBCPS Student ID number.
- Standard & Poor’s NetAdvantage - Analysis and rankings on companies, industries, mutual funds and other investments.
Your Library Means Business
Thinking of buying, selling or expanding a business? No matter what phase of business ownership you’re in, Virginia Beach Public Library has resources and staff to assist you, free of charge.
Join VBPL’s Small Business Librarian, Dorothy Williams, at The HIVE, a business resource center on the 3rd Monday from 10-11 a.m. Get personalized information, guidance in using free business research tools and more. To schedule an appointment with Dorothy, please call (757) 385-0150. Also, visit this page to search alphabetically or by subject for topics including:
- Business & industry research
- E-books and audiobooks on business
- Locating company business ratings
- Determining business locations for a wider customer base
- Learning management and hiring practices
- Starting a home business
- Marketing your business
- Business Plans
- Competitor information
- Legal forms
In-house Technology Education
Trying to gain job skills for the modern workplace? The library offers a number of classes to assist with updating your skills for today's competitive job market. Classes offered range from basic computer use to beginner and intermediate Microsoft Office product instruction. View upcoming classes on our events calendar.